The Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Summer Institute will be held July 24-28, 2017. The goal is to offer a summer institute that connects South Texas students to UAS technology, capitalizing on the buzz surrounding this cutting edge industry and placing South Texas students at the forefront of this field. The summer institute is uniquely designed to give high school students hands-on experience with UAS equipment and software.
The objectives of the UAS Summer Institute are to offer high school students an introduction to:
- UAS engineering concepts and application
- UAS and sensor equipment
- UAS software
- Operation and control of a UAS and sensor equipment
The institute curriculum is based on participants building a UAS, and then using National Instruments’ LabVIEW software to interact with the UAS. The students will be guided by the institute Director and institute Staff on how to build the UAS and use LabVIEW to operate the UAS and sensor equipment.
Before you apply
Applicants must be a rising sophomore, junior, or senior in the Fall of 2017 to be considered. The 2017 UAS Summer Institute application form has multiple sections that must be completed in full before it is submitted.
Applicants should allow sufficient time to thoughtfully complete the application as responses cannot be saved and completed at a later time. To assist applicants in preparing to complete the application, please have the following information ready:
- GPA (4.0 Scale),
- Math SAT or PSAT score, if available,
- A list of all high school level math, physics, and computer science courses completed. If computer science courses are not offered at your high school, you may provide computer skills in which you are proficient,
- An essay explaining why you are applying to the UAS Summer Institute,
- An essay about your educational and career goals,
- An essay regarding what you expect to learn from the UAS Summer Institute and how the experiences will help you meet your educational and career goals,
- A teacher’s name, email, and phone number, who will serve as a reference for you,
- Parent/Guardian contact information. This application will require two contacts.